Why Are You Studying?
Nothing sucks the fun out of a Sunday afternoon like knowing you have a test on Monday but you have 5 episodes of [your favourite show] to catch up on. Nothing. It’s amazing how easy it is to do every single thing on the planet except what you “should” do.
So here’s the trick: YOU NEED TO KNOW WHY YOU ARE STUDYING. That’s it.
I know, if your teacher was listening, you know you “should” say things like
- to learn
- to be a better person
- to do well in school
- to know more.
TO DO: Write a list of 20 reasons you are studying.
Why do you really want to study?
Yeah, it’s just us though. And let’s be honest, most of the time, that’s not what motivates you. We’re human and humans are motivated by super basic things. You may really want to study because:
- “My Aunt keeps talking about her bright daughter and I want to shut her up.”
- “I’m tired of people making jokes about me failing/not doing well in school.”
- “I’m just trying to come out of school and pass these exams.”
- “I have ZERO interest in school but my mother/father/grandparents/aunt/uncle/cousin will lose their mind if I don’t do well.”
- “I want to own a company in the future and I need to learn these skills.”
- “I want to go to University/College and I need these grades to get there.”
It’s not as pretty but you know what, motivation is motivation.
Why you are studying is super important for you to define for yourself. Not your parents. Not your friends.
Wanna know why?
You are the one that will have to be motivated by your “WHY”. You are the one that has to feel driven to ignore the hot WhatsApp conversation about the boy you like and to wait until later to view that Snap from the girl you have a crush on.
Why do you want to study? Sit and think about it and you’d be amazed at how many answers you get after “My mother/father will kill me if I don’t”.
Remember though, even if you can’t answer right now, work on it. And as always, be kind to yourself.